Traveling alone is one of the things I wanted to do. This is why i decided to go all alone. It sounds terrifying but it turned out to be one of the amazing experiences I have had so far! The feeling you get when you explore all by yourself is the best!
I signed up for a free walking tour (HostelCulture.com) recommended by a friend. It was a great way to know the history of the city for a cheap price. It's a great way to meet people as well. I signed up for a Barcelona Tour and Gaudi tour.
Gaudi tour was fascinating. During the tour, I was thinking about my dad. He used to be an Architect and of course, I am a frustrated architect so Barcelona inspired me more with all these beautiful Gaudi creatures! I cannot believe how very detailed each building was!
I heard/read a lot about these so it may sound cliché but I must say that this trip taught me...
- It doesn't matter how long it will take you to reach your destination, what matter is the journey you experienced along the way.
- Take your time. Seriously. Don't stress yourself.
- Going out of your comfort zone is ze BESTEST!!!
- Traveling alone does not mean you're heart broken, escaping from reality, or finding yourself. These waiters from the restaurant kept asking me as to why I am alone since they found me beautiful. One of the waiters asked why am i not married yet...
- Asking people to take your picture ISN'T a bad thing. Really, you'll be surprised how nice strangers are when you asked them to take a picture of you when you hand them your phone.
- Talk. Start a conversation with strangers. You'll find very interesting story about their lives, seriously.
I can go on and on about this trip but I don't want to bore you. So here are the visuals that can help me tell my story about Barcelona :)
Day 1 - Oct 9, 2015: Ate lunch at La Boqueria, the famous fresh market, wander around the Gothic Quarter while waiting for the free walking tour to start. The walking tour was all about Gaudi's work. Learned about the controversies, the issues, and the stories behind every building. At the end of the tour, I went to Parc Güell with the two girls I met during the tour. We couldn't take any decent picture because it was too dark already but I took a video of me touching the famous park to prove that I was there! Hahaha! #dontjudge
I toured around Barcelona through the free walking tour! I actually got lost going to the meeting place since on the way I got distracted by these beautiful sceneries! Barcelona is beautiful! I dined in by myself at the Restaurant Barceloneta and ate Paelle! Their Paella serving is for two people but I finished them all. The filipino waiters recognize me because of my features so they asked me why I am alone. They were so curious about the fact that I was alone. I told them that I wanted to try to travel by myself and so, this weekend was the perfect time to do it since most of my weekends after this were booked. They gave me free dessert! They're so sweet and thoughtful which made me miss the Philippines even more :)